Wednesday, January 25, 2017

Perfect Leftovers




Over a year now my husband has not eaten any meat and I for the most part as well.  Finding something new has less to do with the ingredients and more to do with the imagination. Removing meat from a dish only requires 3-4 types of animals (on average), however, the range of vegetables I've seen from some sources to be over 400 varieties.  

So...it's only a matter of imagination and while I love to cook, sometimes what to cook is the most difficult decision. Having cooked meat dishes for so many years, the brain is often scripted to have some type and amount of meat. For example, lasagna. Most would expect when ordering lasagna that their is ground beef. Not in the dish above. I have been meaning to make lasagna in the past few days and today, Greg wanted more of a Ratatouille, so I combined the two. While zucchini was not available, I used egg plant, tomatoes, spinach and mozzarella with a white cream sauce (bechamel sauce)with a  few dashes of basil pesto onto top and your traditional lasagna pasta shells. I'll have to admit this is one of the better lasagna's I've had and definitely made.  
Tip: The eggplant was cut in 5mm then slices and rubbed with salt and lightly fried in olive oil then layered into the lasagna. 

No comments:

Post a Comment